I’m taking a step away from Mindful Mondays for a while. I’m not sticking to it myself at the moment so feel a bit cheeky preaching it to others.
This weekend I had the house to myself so, in between episodes of Charmed and a migraine, I thought I’d try something new. Step up, Churro Tots.
I didn’t take any photo because I was convinced these would end terribly. Think firey death, churros like little black blobs. Luckily, they came out perfectly – Hooray! I yoinked this recipe from BBC Good Food so feel free to check that out if what I’ve written makes no sense.
What you’ll need:
50g Butter, melted.
350ml Boiling Water
250g Plain Flour
1 tsp of Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
A few cubes of bread
1. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in to a large mixing bowl. Make a little well in the midde.
2. Melt the butter on a low heat and add to the boiling water. It’s gonna look weird but just go with it.
3. Slowly pour the water-butter in to the floury mix and beat together QUICKLY. Aim for it to be lump free but I gave up when my arms started screaming.
4. Once it’s as smooth as you can make it, cover and leave it for 15mins.
5. Fill a large saucepan about 1/3 full with oil. Heat gently.
6. When a cube of bread turns lovely and golden in 45 seconds, it’s Churro Time!
7. Manhandle the mixture in to a piping bag. This is the most difficult bit, trust me.
8. Squeeze little blobs of the mixture, snipping each blob off with scissors, in to the oil and watch them bubble.
9. Once golden brown, use a slotted spoon to scoop them out and plop them on some paper towel to drain.
By themselves, these are delightful little donut lumps. With a little cinnamon and sugar mixed together, they’re HEAVEN.
if you’re lucky, yours will make funny shapes too.
Let me know if you give these a go!
Happy eating! Xx